HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF BASKETBALL IN RWANDA:
1. Before independence
In 1930, Basketball is brought in Rwanda by Catholics Priests (Missionaries), and the first appearance was in South Province in High Schools.
At that time, basketball is played in schools by young students.
2. After independence (1962)
Basketball still be played in High Schools and new teams were created in Army side and from some public institutions and Sportive associations has been created to promote basketball in all provinces in Rwanda, In 1974, Rwanda Basketball Federation is created and the first national League was organized in 3 years later for women and men.
Now the Rwanda Basketball Federation (FERWABA) is Member of Rwanda National Olympic Committee, affiliated to FIBA, Zone AFRIQUE; it works as National nongovernmental organization recognized by the Rwanda Government.
3. During 1994 Genocide of Tutsi
The tragedy of 1994 touched basketball development: Players, Spectators, Leaders of teams and federation dead, Infrastructures was destroyed: Courts, gymnasiums in schools and in all provinces.
4. Period post Genocide of Tutsi
At that time, Basketball restarted and many was created in schools and by different basketball fans and competitions and some clinics were organized.
5. Who are we?
FERWABA is a national umbrella organization of all basketball clubs and associations. Whose core business revolves around the following goals
- Provision of technical training for the players, coaches and referees.
- Organizing local and international competitions.
- Creating forums for the exchange of experiences and ideas.
“Effective service for quality basketball in Rwanda”
To provide an enabling environment for skill development, talent nurturing and high level competition for basketball as a sport in Rwanda.
2. Our Objectives
- Promote and develop basketball policy in Rwanda,
- Capacity building of technical and moral qualities of our officials (Coaches & Referees),
- Represent and defend benefits of its members (Clubs, Associations),
- Develop basketball program for Youth,
- Organize and participate in different competitions (National and International).
3. Core values Commitments
The Federation is committed to serve with courtesy, honesty, integrity and fairness. It therefore commits itself to:
- Treat all its clients concern with confidentiality and urgency
- Respond to all correspondence as soon as possible upon receipt
- Accountability in all activities
The Federation is committed to serve with courtesy, honesty, integrity and fairness. The Federation commits itself to:
- Treat all its clients concern with confidentiality and urgency.
- Respond to all correspondence as soon as possible upon receipt.
- Serve with Account in all activities
5. Structure of the federation
Rwanda Basketball Federation is administered and managed through the following divisions:
- The General Assembly
- The Executive Committee.
- Ad-hoc Commissions
- Permanent staff
The General Assembly is the supreme decision making organ of the Federation. Its membership is nationwide with representation from each Clubs and Association member.
The Executive Committee is charged with day to day affairs of the federation. Its members are elected every four years by the General Assembly.
It is composed by:
- 2 Vice Presidents
- Secretary General
- Technical Advisor
- Legal Advisor
The Permanent commissions are appointed by the Executive support the daily responsibilities of the Executive Committee. Members of the commissions need to have necessary requisites and experience and are from Clubs or Associations Members of FERWABA. Now FERWABA has the following Permanent Commissions:
- Technical Commission
- Youth Development Commission
- Women Commission
- Legal Commission
- Medical Commission
- Marketing and Sponsorship Commission
The Permanent staffs are recruited by the Executive committee and are charged to run daily works in Office of the Federation such as administration and follow up of Basketball programs and report to the Executive committee. Now, FERWABA has the following Permanent Staff:
- Technical Manager
- Secretary and Accountant
- National Coach for Men Team